1. De-clutter – Organize bookshelves, remove excessive knick-knacks and get rid of things you don’t need or use.
2. Add more light – Sheer window treatments expand your space and let you bring a little bit of the outdoors in; or try adding some mirrors.
3. Place large furniture pieces close (but not touching) walls, to open up your space.
4. Add colorful throws or cushions to liven up a room and harmonize your surroundings.
5. Paint walls a light neutral color that simplifies your color scheme; use accent colors with care – they’re important to add variety or interest, but too much can make a small space even smaller.
6. Add fresh flowers or potted plants (living please!) create a natural, refreshing environment.
7. Paint or stain woods for a fresh, new look for little cost.
8. Accessorize to present a theme (e.g. Asian-inspired wall hangings and vases, etc.)