As a longtime small space dweller, I have definitely learned a few tips and tricks for making a small space feel comfortable and efficient. One of the the best ways to do this is my creating zones in your space. This important task can often feel overwhelming – how do you turn one room into *many*? Here are a few ideas to help you create a space that suits your needs and feels good.
1) Determine the “spaces” that you need in your space and how you want to use the room. It’s so important to live in your home life instead of what is traditional. If you have a dining room but aren’t formal, consider using that space for something else.
2) Use straight lines in your furniture to create a pattern and balance. Of course you can have round pieces as well but consider the straight edged pieces as well.
3) Layer your furniture to utilize the space and to create dimension. You can create an office space on the back side of a couch. This is a good example of layering.
4) Float your furniture in your room (like to sofa in the photo above) to create a small space inside the larger space.
5) Use rugs, like Flor, to create anchors in the space. This is one of my fave ways to create zones.
To see the entire (and insanely gorgeous) house tour, click here to visit The Selby.