I have installed FLOR tiles in solid color schemes and simple alternating patterns. I have cut them to accommodate miniscule, strangely shaped rooms and to fit around doorways. (Cutting isn’t hard; you just need a metal straight edge, a carpet knife, and a steady hand.) But I have never been so adventurous as to create one of these patterns. It had just never occurred to me to play more with the shape and color patterns, but now I’m looking forward to trying it someday. In the meantime, I thought I’d share some resources for people who are feeling adventurous! Although these sites are for traditional tiles, many of the patterns could be adapted for FLOR.
- Emser – Three dozen tile patterns. Some of them, such as Interlocked, would probably be too much of a headache to cut, but simpler patterns like Basketweave and Pinwheel could look really nice.
- Marble Designer – This interactive site lets you play with color in addition to pattern. The color choices aren’t comprehensive but can give you an idea. There are also some good ideas for runners if covering an entire room is too daunting.
- Tile House – There are a lot of complicated tile patterns here, but check out some of the diamond and border ideas, in particular.
As for infusing color into these patterns, take a look at these online color palette generators.
Have you ever created a custom FLOR pattern, or are you inspired to do one now? I’d love it if you’d share! You can email comments and pictures here.
Recently I mentioned COLOURlovers in a post about online color palette generators, but this site actually offers much, much more. If you’re smitten with color, palettes, patterns, and trends, it’s a fantastic place to find inspiration and share your own creations with an international online community. Last time I checked, COLOURlovers members (all 398,593+ of them) had created 3,014,849 colors, 1,289,226 palettes and 1,035,379 patterns and counting – that’s a lot of love!
Here are some of the fun ways to use COLOURlovers…
- Browse and Search – Need some inspiration for your bedroom redesign? Explore the new and archived colors, palettes, and patterns created by community members.
- Create – Design (and share, if you wish) your own colors, patterns, and palettes using the site’s sophisticated yet easy to use tools.
- Community – Follow users whose creations you admire, participate in forums and groups, and peruse the blog for more inspiration.
- Channels – In the Home channel, you can view interior design color trends, explore home-focused colors, and chat with other users for advice.
- Trends – Check out color trends from interior looks, street fashion, web design, and more.