Posted by FLOR | Filed under Musings
We had such a great time working with Rebecca and Tyler, the winners of our first-ever FLOR Makeover contest. Their “bring it on” spirit and refined design aesthetic meshed beautifully with FLOR’s point of view.
With the clean, white background of their beautiful home, we had a wonderful opportunity to introduce a mix of colors that would tie the rooms, furniture and fixtures together and help define areas as well. So, with that … here is what we created:
The Proposed Layout:
We started with the entry. Rebecca already had a FLOR rug that she and her husband had designed, which we loved (below).
The Entry (before):
We wanted to retain the spirit of their design but update it with textures that were a little more foyer-friendly and could withstand the dirt and foot traffic that area demands. We kept the “+” design from the original rug, but chose FLOR styles Mild Mannered and Straight and Narrow – both have a ribbed texture and use varied yarns to provide amazing camouflaging benefits. Check out the combo in our new design, below.
Then, there was the issue of the long hallway leading into the main living space. We tossed around lots of ideas – from a plush, shaggy wool rug to a multi-colored runner – and landed on a genius custom design using a range of colors and textures. The blend provides not only a stunning focal point and sumptuous mix of textures, but it will also stand up to sprints by the couple’s young son and daughter. Our designer, Cristina, came up with this unique Chevron-inspired design using a combination of 2″ strips of FLOR styles Level Setting, House Pet, Rake Me Over, Feelin’ Groovy, Shear Indulgence, Fedora and Reverb (see specifics and links below).
FLOR’s Entry & Hallway Mood Board:
- Umbrella Basket – Blow up, Umbrella Stand by Fratelli Campana from Alessi
- Coat Rack - 2d/3d Coat Rack by Blu Dot from Hive Modern
- FLOR’s Custom Hallway Runner – (2″ strips each of) Level Setting in Black + House Pet in Hummingbird and Hamster + Rake Me Over in Teal + Feelin’ Groovy in Sunny and Yellow + Shear Indulgence in Suffolk White + Fedora in Chartreuse + Reverb in Lime.
- FLOR’s Entryway Rug – Mild Mannered in Charcoal + Straight & Narrow in Lime.
For the dining area, Rebecca and Tyler wanted a pop of color and a circular shape to mimic their classic Tulip dining table.
The Dining Room & Kitchen (before):
We chose Rake Me Over in a bright pink and custom-cut it as a large circle. The texture will feel delicious on the toes and will also help hide spills should the dog drop one of those yummy table-scraps!
FLOR’s Dining Room & Kitchen Mood Board:
- FLOR’s Custom Dining Room Rug – Rake Me Over in pink
- Kitchen Pendant – 85 Lamps by Rody Graumans
- Dining Room Table – Saarinen Dining Table by Hive Modern
- Dining Room Chairs – Eames Restored Shell Chairsby Plastolux
- Vases – Morandi Bottle Vases by Canvas
- Table Mats – Pinetti Italian Leather Table Mats by David Mellor Design
- Cutlery- Odeon Stainless Steel Cutlery by David Mellor Design
- Storage Jars – Bodum Glass Storage Jars by David Mellor Design
- Mug - Pantone Ceramic Mug from Apartment Therapy
- Dishes – Walter Gropius TAC Porcelain by Rosenthal
In the living room, which is where the family spends a lot of time together and gathers to watch movies and television, they wanted something super soft and comfortable.
The Living Room (before):
We used one of the über plush styles from our new floresse collection, Manx, and interspersed slivers of Rake Me Over in two shades of yellow to provide contrasting color while maintaining the plush texture. The free-form shape will also complement the serpentine of the new Togo sofa the couple has their eyes on.
Our design and stylist teams also provided a few accessory suggestions to play off of the rug designs we created and continue the modern-with-a-twist theme seen throughout the couple’s home.
FLOR’s Living Room Mood Board:
- FLOR Custom Living Room Rug – Manx in Gotland Grey + 1/4-tiles of Feelin Groovyin Sunny & Yellow
- Sofa – Togo Sofa by Michel Ducaroy
- Wall Unit/Room Divider – 1950s George Nelson Wall Unit by Herman Miller
- Window Treatments – Ripple Fold Drapery by The Shade Store
- Throw Pillow “Eames Chair” - 1956 in Chocolate and Sunflower by Inhabit
- Throw Pillow “You Are” – You Are in Lime and Chocolate by Inhabit
- Throw Pillow “Let’s Make Out” – Let’s Make Out in Coco and Oatmeal from Etsy
- Retro Telephone – Citrus Yellow Telephone by Sweet Bella
- Coffee Table – Alster by Ligne Roset
- Wool Throw – Swiss Army Blanket by Deken
- Fire Pit – EcoSmart Fireplace from Remodelista
We were ecstatic to have full freedom to create these one-of-a-kind designs and patterns for our winners and cannot wait to see them in Rebecca and Tyler’s home. They were a true pleasure to work with and we hope they had as much fun as we all did here at FLOR.
We will be sure to share the finished look with you all in a future post, so be sure to check back in a few weeks!
Tags: alessi, apartment therapy, bodum, david mellor designs, design makeover, dining room rugs, eames chair, entryway rugs, george nelson, gropius, hallway rugs, Herman Miller, hive modern, ligne roset, living room rugs, luminaire, makeover, morandi, pantone, pinetti, plastolux, room makeovers, rug designs, saarinen, swiss army, togo